Sunday, May 31, 2009

Potty Training


Okay, so the few of you who actually read my blog already know that Gavin has decided he is leaving diapers behind and pee-peeing in the potty.

First of all, I had decided to wait until Gavin turned 2 to start potty training. No particular reason other than I always heard that boys are harder than girls, so through all this I have had no potty training gear.

Well two days in a row Gavin followed me into the bathroom and started taking off his shirt. I assumed he wanted in the bath. The first time I undressed him, he peed the moment I put him in the tub. The second time he peed right in front of the toilet.

The following day Levi went into the bathroom and Gavin pulled up his shirt and ran behind him. I told Levi to see if Gavin needed to pee. He did! He was soooo proud of himself, and so were we! That evening he did it again.

He has continued to to raise his shirt and run into the bathroom a few times a day ever since. In no means does he stay dry all day, but this is a great start. I have not yet jumped into the world of potty training because I want to make sure this is something he is really ready for and not something he thinks is fun and will last only a week.

Now the only problem is, when Levi let him go potty the first time, he stood him on top of the toilet lid and now Gavin won't sit on the potty. That is fine because they sell urinals for toddlers, BUT when it comes to going #2, there is no standing on the toilet! He wanted to go #2 in the potty sooo badly today, but wouldn't sit, so I had to put a diaper on him. I am not so sure what do to about that. (Maybe I'll leave that up to a private daddy and son learning experence) ((or if anyone has any advice))

But I have to say, God has given me the world's easiest little boy for potty training himself at only 22 months old!

3 comments:

Piker Family said...

When they are ready they are ready! How exciting!! Whitney was around 22 months when she was showing a lot of interest and now she only wears a pull-up at nighttime!! So it won't be long and you will only be changing one set of diapers. Congratulations!!

Just Jiff said...

That's awesome! Every kiddo is different and my stepson was not potty trained til he was almost FOUR. His mother always kept him in diapers and daycare was trying, so we did what daycare did. We asked him a million times if he needed to potty. We did the pottychair a few times but got tired of cleaning it, so we got a stepstool and a little seat that goes over the toilet seat. We asked him ALL the time if he needed to go. Until he went accident free for a while we took him off the pullups. Do what works best for Gavin, though.

Crystal_King said...

WOW!!! That's great! I agree letting them do it when they're ready, but he sounds ready! That's wonderful! I'm so proud of him, what a big boy! Wouldn't it be wonderful to only have 1 in diapers??!!! :) That's just so good!!!