Monday, August 29, 2011

Children's Church


Most 3-4 years old's are starting their first day of preschool. Mine are taking it a bit slower and started their first day of Children's Church! I was going to wait until Carrigan turned 3, so they could go together, but I threw her in there last minute. :) (with her birthday 2 months away, what is the difference? :) )

I told Gavin he would be going to Sunday School earlier in the week and he was excited. It wasn't until the night before that he got nervous, but with the reward of a whole bag of M&M's all to himself, he was anxious to go!

That morning Carrigan decided she wanted to go in with him, so I told Levi if she was happy to let her go in, but if she started fussing even for a second, to pick her up and walk her into the sanctuary as quickly as he could. I didn't want anything making Gavin nervous.

Nana and I walked them into to the room. We found a superhero toy for Gavin and a Dora doll for Carrigan and they felt right at home! We walked out and neither one of them cried, or followed us to the door. I stayed, watching through the window for several minutes. They were going to see a puppet show in a much larger room next door with all the big kids, so I let them know I would come back and be in the hallway when they walked through.

I heard the man (Carrigan called them the Grandma and Grandpa) telling "Devin" (because Carrigan introduced him as her "Davin Boy") to take his sister's hand and walk her to door. The "Grandpa" held one hand and Gavin held the other as they led the line walking to the puppet show. Gavin noticed me in the hall, grinned and kept walking. Carrigan didn't notice me and was perfectly fine. It was SO strange to see them in an environment that I have not been in being led by people I do not know. I was so anxious to hear what they had to say about their morning. NEVER has it been that Mommy, Daddy, or Nana hasn't been by their side during any event. Sunday School was big deal for us!

Levi and I decided to leave church a little early to pick them up. Carrigan was being held by the "grandma" crying. She had just started, so I'm glad we got there early! They said Carrigan stayed close to Gavin's side, but he was more outgoing and interacting with the other children.

I am so proud of them and I can't believe I of all people didn't take any pictures!

No comments: