Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What did you say??

Gavin woke up from his nap Monday afternoon with a fever of 101.9. It has only gone up since then. Yesterday it reached 104.7. I called his Doctor's office and talked with a nurse. Want to know what she said? (some of you may know via Facebook)

"We don't consider 104 a reason to be concerned. Wait until it is 106 - 107 to bring him in."


EXCUSE ME??? Did she just tell me to let my child reach 107 before I get concerned???

So this morning my mom and I head to the doctor. Strep and flu tests come back negative. His lungs, ears and throat are all clear.

I said to the doctor, "Before you go, let me ask you something." I told him what the nurse told me and asked, "Is that not preposterous??

He had me repeat the conversation twice and wrote it down. He apologized several times for the bad advice I was given. He said he has only once ever seen a person with a fever of 107 and it was a man with heat stroke.

He then said he will personally give this nurse a lesson on what it is to have a fever. He wasn't pleased with what I had told him. And for good reason!!

It did make me upset because from what I told him, he said I should have brought Gavin to the ER. I would have if the bath he was in at the time of the call hadn't brought the fever down to 100.

I wasn't given any medication, but told if his fever persists, bring him back Friday. This evening his fever was 103.4. I am praying tomorrow we will be fever free.

Height: 32 1/4 - That is up an inch from his 18 month check-up!
Weight: 21.4 lbs

2 comments:

Jeff, Sarah, Lydia & Jack Henry said...

Poor guy! I hope that he is feeling better soon! I'm glad that the doctor was going to talk to that nurse...that's CRAZY!
By the way..all your new pictures are so good! Your kids are beautiful!

Lane said...

YIKES!!! That's crazy! I remember one time when Sterling had the rotavirus they told met hat his fever could get up to 106...I freaked out to say the least! thankfully it never did!