Monday, September 7, 2009

The most daring photo I have ever taken...


Why is a photo of my dear, sweet girl sleeping my most daring photo? Here is why!!

As I've said before, Carrigan is a light sleeper. If there is one thing she has inherited from me, that is it. Levi likes to say he can wake me up simply by mouthing my name.

Over the past few months, Carrigan's crib became a big waste of space. She would not sleep in it. She could be out cold and the moment her back hit the sheets, she was wide awake and screaming. That led to her sleeping in bed with me. It is only because I am such a light sleeper that I allow this. BUT my little darling is a roller. When she searches for a comfortable position, she go this why and that, and that makes me nervous.

I told Levi no matter what, Carrigan has got to learn to sleep in her own bed. AND she has to learn to go back to sleep without nursing since that will be going byebye by the time she turns 1.

Last night was the big night. After she was asleep, I laid her in her crib. She stayed asleep until 11:30. I had made up my mind that I was not going to pick her up the entire night. I leaned over the crib, gave her hugs and kisses, turned on a lullaby cd, then sat and waited. She screamed for about 4 minutes then stood listening to the music. I came back over to give her more love. After only 10 minutes or less, I had her laying down and I rubbed her back until she was fast asleep. WOW!

She woke up again at 1:30. I turned the music back on, laid her down, rubbed her belly and she was out within 5 minutes. The same thing happened 4 more times that night. What is amazing is the only time she really cried was that first time.

Today at nap I put her in her crib, turned on her music, walked out for no more than 5 minutes, then came in to rub her belly. It worked like magic. AWESOME!

Now all we need to do is get 8 straight hours of sleep out of her! I think it's high time I got a good night's rest!

1 comment:

Laura King said...

Looks like you're on your way to what young mothers refer to as "the mystical phenomenon of 8 hours uninterrupted sleep!" (also known as "sleep? what's that?)

What a big girl she is getting to be...time for another? :)