Tuesday, October 7, 2008

EGD

Gavin had his EGD this morning. It was a hard morning, but it could have been worse. He wasn't allowed to drink anything besides clear liquids after midnight and my child won't drink anything besides milk. At 11:45 p.m. I got him to drink a full bottle. I had been praying all day that he would drink as late as allowed but it wasn't looking good. His previous bottle had been at 9:30. Typically I would be putting a bottle to his mouth, he would be pushing it away, smushing his lips, and crying. He took it right away! I immediately started crying because I had just finished the final prayer to let God "fill his belly"

This morning I tried to get him to drink apple juice and water, but I was not surprised that he wouldn't drink. He didn't go back for the procedure until 11:30, so we were dealing with a very hungry baby. He was surprisingly calm about it. The worst part before the EGD was taking his pulse. He did NOT like his thumb being wrapped up!

After the biopsy and scope, we talked to the GI. From what he could tell from pictures of his stomach and esophagus, nothing is damaged!! We were relieved to hear that! We will hear the results of the biopsies and blood work next week.

He did say that Gavin's left ear drum is inverted and is usually painful. I am not too sure on the details on that. His right ear is infected again. The infections can be caused by reflux and if he continues having them, he will need tubes placed in his ears.

It is all over and praise God he came out okay!

So handsome in his scrubs! They were SO soft! There is only so much you can do with a hungry 14 month old in a small room for over and hour, so on top of Daddy's shoulders he went! This is after they gave Gavin some medicine to sedate him before being taken away. The poor love could hardly keep his head up on his own. I wasn't far from it either. I had been up since 4:00 a.m. after going to bed after midnight. This was while he was in recovery. He couldn't stand the IV in his arm and his stomach was hurting from it being filled with air for the biopsy. It was very difficult to see him like that. I am still in amazement that neither Levi or I cried once at the hospital. What do you get after such a hard day? Chocolate Mousse! Since he held down a bottle of milk before we left the hospital, we were allowed to give him his normal diet. It was an hour drive home, so we stopped to eat. And while chocolate certainly isn't in his normal diet, he sure deserved the treat!

2 comments:

Laura King said...

Look at him using a spoon!! What a big boy! I'm so glad you all got through it although I know it was difficult. Glad to hear doctors report so far is good. Thanks for the call, I realized after hanging up that I'd been holding my breath. God is good!

Crystal_King said...

I'm so happy to hear that everything went smoothly. It's so sad seeing his little hand wrapped up with an IV, but it sounds like you and Levi stayed strong which was good for Gavin. I'm so happy it's over with! Hopefully you've gotten some rest since then? Any day now and my precious niece or nephew will be here! We can't wait! I just wished we lived closer so I could help you out!!! Take care of yourself and give Gavin hugs for us!!! We sure miss you guys!