Monday, April 6, 2009

Emergency Room - Part 2

At 10:00 p.m. we arrive to the ER at Ar Children's Hospital. The room is packed. It is hot. It is loud. We find a spot in the corner and Carrigan starts crying. It takes and hour and a half to see a nurse. No matter what I do, Carrigan still cries. My poor baby wanted her home and her bed.

Around midnight we finally get to see a doctor. Gavin's temp has stayed low, but because it was so high they want to check for the flu and do a chest x-ray.

Around 1:00 a.m. both Gavin and Carrigan fall asleep. At 1:30 the nurse comes in and says they are ready for his chest x-ray.

And here is where I will undoubtedly cry while typing. Gavin is exhausted and finally asleep in my arms. I am shown the device that will keep Gavin still for the x-ray. You know that plastic tube that vacuums to the bank teller? Imagine putting your child in that with their arms straight up and their head strapped.

This is obviously not Gavin, and the experience is worse than this child is making it look. There is also lots of tape and straps involved.

Not only was that impossible to watch, but here is my sunburned baby, asleep in my arms, being taken from me by a stranger at 1:30 a.m. to be tortured.

Yes, it was torture.

I was supposed to go back to the waiting room, but, to be frank, "Make Me" I stood watching through the window by the controls. That was the hardest thing I have ever watched.

He was too small for the first tube. They didn't lower him enough in the second. What should have taken 5 minutes or less took an eternity.

I held back my tears (and nasty words to the people who couldn't do it right the first time) until we got back to the "room"

Poor Levi thought they had given me bad news when he saw my reaction after returning to the room.

After all that, we are told the x-rays show he has a cold and this is probably a virus, so continue Tylenol. We got back home at 3:15 a.m.

My child deserves to never return to a hospital until his wife has their first child some day.

Gavin is still far from well, so we ask you add him to your prayers and thank you to those who have been praying.

7 comments:

Jeff, Sarah, Lydia & Jack Henry said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm praying for Gavin! I hope that he gets feeling better soon!

Piker Family said...

What an experience! I am definitely praying for Gavin. I hope he gets better really soon!!

Laura King said...

As a momma who had to watch similar trauma with her own sick babies, I know exactly how you feel. My tears today are for you, Gavin and memories of my own sons. I've not been able to erase the memory, but thank God I don't think the boys have any memory of the worst of it.

When Levi had to have x-rays as a little guy, they let me wear a lead apron and hold him in "the position" rather than use a device. When Hayden was sick and just a few weeks old, they put him in one of those and it broke my heart. He came out of it pretty roughed up.

We are praying for all of you. Take it easy and just love on each other today.

Lane said...

Aww that makes me want to give him (and you) a big 'ol hug! How awful for him. But thankfully it wasn't anything serious! Hope he gets better soon and will be saying a prayer for him!

Crystal_King said...

Oh my goodness Laura. I read your blog today and got goosebumps when I read how high his temperature had gotten. I can't imagine with just a virus it would get that high! That's awful what you all had to go through, but Gavin will definitely be in my prayers. We're thinking of him and I hope he will get better soon.

How has he been since leaving the hospital? I can't believe they couldn't pin point in more detail exactly what it was. Poor baby. I don't know what it's like going through something like that with your child, but it will give you strength that's for sure. Hang in there.

Love you all!

Just Jiff said...

I just found your blog and OMG. Poor little guy. My daughter had to be put in one of those at her doc's office and they look like little torture chambers!

I'll keep checking back to see how he's doing!

Christy said...

Poor guy.