Monday, September 15, 2008

GI

This afternoon we saw Dr Fiedorek at 2:30.
Well let me rephrase that. Gavin's appointment was at 2:30. We finally got in 2 hours after that.

Remember how his medicine turns him into a different child? Well today Levi and I got to experience what a carefree, completely comfortable and outgoing child is like. He had no problems walking all around (it was a large waiting room) pulling things out of other people's bags, trying to open doors and play with other children's toys.

One poor little girl, about 7 years old, was playing with one of those big activity cubes you find in doctor's offices. Gavin played nicely beside her then all the sudden reached over and pinched her arm with his slobber covered hand! Her eyes opened wide, she looked at her mother with this, What Do I Do? look, then glared at Levi and I. I felt so bad!

About an hour later, he saw a little boy about 3 years old and decided he needed a good pinch too. I was so embarrassed! Gavin usually doesn't wander more than a few steps from us and is perfectly behaved!

So finally we got to see the GI. He went over Gavin's history and decided we need to go ahead and scope to look for problems. He will also do a biopsy of his stomach and esophagus and draw blood. Dr Fiedorek said there is a rare disease called Eosinophilic esophagitis (allergic esophagus) which is similar to his esophagus having eczema, that he will be looking for.
The procedure only takes about 7 or 8 minutes and he is ordering medications and anesthesia as if Gavin is allergic to be safe.
Since Gavin has an upper respiratory infection, he wants to wait 3 weeks before doing the test.

The tests will be done early morning on October 7, at Children's Hospital.

Oh yes, I asked the doctor about the effects this "out of control" medicine has had on Gavin. He said he would not give this particular medicine to his children and recommended we do the same. He still has a slight ear infection and the doctor recommended we take him back to his pediatrician in 3-5 days.

Please be praying with us that the tests go well. Also please be praying for Levi and I. As the day becomes near, I will be sleeping less and less and the morning they take my baby away from me you can bet I will be an absolute wreck.
I have never once left my baby with him crying out for me. I cannot imagine what this will do to both of us!

2 comments:

Crystal_King said...

Oh my goodness, that's a lot of information to take in, in one day! Yes, yes, I'll be praying that everything goes smoothly. I hope this can help little Gavin to feeling better. So the doctor is giving you new medicine that won't make him wild? Good! We'll be thinking of you all, baby also! I know it must be a lot for you right now, be sure you're taking good care of yourself for that sweet baby!

Laura King said...

Gavin on that medication sounds like Levi on Vicodin. We couldn't hardly let him out of the house, and he was 17 years old! Our prayers will increase for all of you as you prepare and go through all of this. It sounds like he is in good hands with this doctor. Much love to all.