Sunday, September 14, 2008

Side Effects May Occur

Warning: Excitability may occur, especially in children under 2.

Excitability. That is the understatement of the year!!

This week has been a very interesting week due to the side effects of Gavin's medications. One of the medicines is to be given every 6 hours. Around an hour after each dose is given, my child transforms into a completely different child!

He gets so much energy he doesn't know what to do with himself. He also is SILLY!

Every day Gavin brings me book after book to read. He sits and listens for as long as I am willing to read.
On his medicine he brings the book along with a mask or hat for me to wear, turns on his loudest toy, swings his arms and only listens to a few pages before he throws the book and searches for a new one.

The "excitability" of this medicine has taught him to spin in circles, hang and swing from the table, and believe it or not, talk back.

Gavin climbed on top of my hope chest. He has never been interested in climbing on this before.
Mommy: "Gavin sit down."
Gavin: "No"
Mommy: "Yes sir, sit down."
Gavin: "No"
Mommy: "Yes"
Gavin: "No"
He had never even said "No" by itself before that day. What on earth!

It also does something to his tongue. He pinches it, sticks it out all day and even tried to lick my tongue. He also took a textured paci today that he has always spit out. It isn't swollen, so I figure it goes numb or tingles.

All of this I can handle except it makes him hit. There is a 2 hour span after his medicine that he wants to hit everything, including himself. He slaps his face and throws things around. I have kept my patience and gently hold his hands to distract him because I know it is not him, but the medication.

His other medicine has caused diarrhea and a loss of appetite. I am afraid of dehydration and weight loss. He still has 5 days to go.

Gavin's visit with a Gastroenterologist is tomorrow at 2:30. We are praying that he will feel no tests will need to be done that require anesthesia.

No comments: